Preparation for First Holy Communion
Receiving the Sacrament of First Holy Communion is an important time in the life of your child, it is also an important time for their class, their teachers, and also for you the parents/guardians. It is also a special time too for the parish community.
Your child’s faith journey began the day you brought your child to the Church to be baptised. Now, that child has grown, they are about to take another step in their faith journey, as they prepare for First Holy Communion. And we all have a part to play. While the home is the primary learning place, each parent/guardian will be asked to take on a special role over the next few months, to journey with your child as they prepare to receive the Sacraments, as there is only so much that can be taught in school. Our teachers do a wonderful job in preparing the children for their special day, but it is at home that our children are influenced by what they see and learn.
As part of our preparation for First Penance and First Holy Communion, we participate in a parish based programme, ‘Do this in Memory’. This programme is a continuous programme, connecting the classroom with the home and the parish. As part of the programme, there is an Information Night, (where we meet the parents), an Enrolment Ceremony for you and your child, and there are ten Sundays (Saturday Vigil Masses at 7.30pm) set aside where you and your child will have some participation in the Mass. It is also asked that you and your child attend Mass regularly as your child prepares for this special day.
Dates of the Saturdays of Do This in Memory 2013 -2014
- Saturday 5th October, 2013 – Enrolment
- Saturday 2nd November, 2013. – 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Saturday 23rd November, 2013 – Feast of Christ the King
- Saturday, 14th December, 2013 – 3rd Sunday Advent
- Saturday, 25th January 2014 – 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Saturday, 15th February 2014 – 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Saturday, 22nd March 2014 – 3rd Sunday in Lent
- Saturday, 12th April 2014 – Palm Sunday
- Saturday, 3rd May 2014 – 3rd Sunday of Easter
- Saturday, 21st June 2014 – Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ