Congratulations on your decision to get married.  It’s an exciting time with lots of wedding planning ahead!

While you need only give three months notice of your intention to marry it is common practice for a couple to book the church a long time in advance.  So it is important to contact the Parish Office to make sure that the church is available on the day you require. You will also need to look at participating in a marriage preparation course which is a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship.

The Civil Authorities also require three months notice.

 The following information may be helpful …
  • Go to a priest in the parish of the bride at least THREE MONTHS before the date on which you plan to marry.  The meetings of the couple with their priest are a key part of the preparation process.  These meetings have taken on a new significance in recent times, because it can no longer be assumed that seeking a Church wedding is an expression of Christian faith on the part of one or both partners.  These meetings are an opportunity for a couple to reflect on what Christian marriage asks of them.
  • The priest will also begin the process of filling out Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Forms and advise you about the various documents that you need.  You will need to get a Certificate of Baptism from the parish in which you were baptised and a Certificate of Confirmation from the parish in which you were confirmed.  These documents should be issued no less than six months prior to the date of marriage.
  • If you have lived somewhere else, other than your present parish, since you were sixteen, then you will need to get a Letter of Freedom from each parish in which you resided for more than six months to state that you did not get married while you resided there.  Any priest from the parish (or parishes) where you lived will be happy to supply you with this document.
  • The bishop’s permission is required for a Church marriage involving someone under 18.  Christian marriage requires the capability for a mature commitment and therefore such permissions are only granted in exceptional circumstances.
  • Freedom to marry: The rules governing freedom to marry in the Catholic church can be complicated.  The best advice when one party has been married previously (either in a civil or religious ceremony) is not to make arrangements until the diocesan office has been consulted.
  • Mixed Marriages: Special permissions are required for full church recognition of marriages between a Roman Catholic and a baptised non-RC or someone unbaptised.   Applications are handled by the Diocesan Office once the priest of the catholic party has forwarded the standard paperwork.
  • It is recommended that all couples who are getting married should attend a Pre-Marriage Course .   It is better to attend the Course well before the date of the Marriage.  Here are some contact numbers to help  you book your pre-marriage course.

              Accord :    or  St. John’s College,  Waterford.   

Tel: 051-878333

Ossory Marriage Awareness Courses, Social Services, Waterford Road, Kilkenny.  

Tel: 056-7721653

  • The marriage ceremony usually takes place in the Church of the bride’s   parish.  If the couple have reason for getting married elsewhere, the bride should inform the Priest on the parish where she is currently residing so that he may provide the    necessary Letter of Permission to get married outside the parish.  Obviously, in this    case, the couple will need to make arrangements for the use of the church in the          parish where they intend to get married. 
  •  Normally the Priest from the bride’s parish officiates at the marriage ceremony, assuming that the ceremony takes place in the bride’s parish. If you wish to have some other Priest (e.g. a relative or friend) officiate, inform the Priest in the parish where the ceremony is to take place and he will give the necessary authorisation.  In Civil Law, it is now a legal requirement for the Officiant (the Priest who officiates at the marriage) to be on the ‘List of Officiants’ submitted by each local Bishop to the Registrar-General.
  • Ask the Priest who is to officiate at your wedding to help you with the task of creating your marriage ceremony.   We have put together a booklet to help you with the Readings, etc.   This booklet is available from the Parish Office or as a downloadable PDF. Please click here to view it.  Read through these together and choose the ones you prefer.  Choose the person(s) who will read at Mass, person(s) to read the Prayers of the Faithful and the people to bring up the gifts at the Offertory.   We would advise you to organise a Rehearsal of the Wedding Ceremony in the Church with the Priest before the wedding day.
  • To celebrate the sacrament of Marriage does not require the celebration of Eucharist (Mass).   While it has been generally the custom, it may not always be appropriate for example in a “mixed” marriage or when a couple are not regularly practising.   Some couples today find the celebration of Marriage without the Eucharist, to be more appropriate for them.

If you have any further queries regarding your Church Ceremony, please contact the Parish Office.  You may also find the following links helpful and